The firehouse at 34 Winthrop St., Charlestown, circa 1887.
Firehouse of Engine 50 at 34 Winthrop St., Charlestown, circa 1950.
Engine 50's firehouse at 34 Winthrop St, Charlestown, circa 2005.
Engine 50 backs into the firehouse at 34 Winthrop St, Charlestown, circa 2009.
A commemorative plaque, honoring the Massachusetts Hook & Ladder Co. in 1853, placed by the Charlestown Preservation Society.
This firehouse was opened, in its present configuration, in 1918. There has been a firehouse on this site since 1853. This site is the longest serving site of a firehouse in the City of Boston.
The firehouse is located at 34 Winthrop Street, between Common Street and Main Street in the City Square area of Charlestown. The firehouse is a short distance away from the Bunker Hill Monument.
In 1852, the city of Charlestown purchased land on Winthrop Street from John J. Soley for $3402. The purpose was to construct a building to house the ladder truck and for a hall for the military (militia). A room on the first floor was provided for a school room with a separate entrance. The cost of construction was $7240 and the contractor was Isaac Cushing. The building was completed early in 1853.
On January 5, 1874 Hose Company 3 (Charlestown) was organized upon annexation of the Town of Charlestown to the City of Boston. Hose Company 3 (Charlestown) was disbanded on May 4, 1898, and Combination Wagon 7 was organized. On April 21, 1905 Combination Wagon 7 was disbanded and Combination Wagon 2 (Charlestown) was organized.
On January 10, 1907, Combination Wagon 2 (Charlestown) was disbanded and Chemical Company 3 (Charlestown) was organized. This company was disbanded on November 30, 1917. On that date, the firehouse was closed to allow for renovations to accomodate motorized fire apparatus. The firehouse reopened and Engine Company 50 was organized on July 26, 1918.
This firehouse was the quarters of the District Fire Chief of District 2 from April 22, 1938 to 1981 when District 2 was eliminated and Charlestown was included in the boundaries of District 3. Engine 50 was disbanded on April 10, 1981. The firehouse was occupied by local residents as a protest against the closing of the firehouse. It was named by the residents "People's Firehouse". The firehouse was reopened and Engine 50 was reactivated on May 9, 1981. A new concrete floor for the firehouse was installed from June 10 to September 15, 1993.
Rescue Company 3 was organized here on May 31, 1929. The company was organized here because the new firehouse at Bowdoin Square was still under construction. Rescue 3 remained until November 10, 1930, when it moved to Bowdoin Square , Downtown.
A plaque is mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate a firefighter who died in the Line Of Duty:
Engine 50 responds to incidents in Charlestown, North End, North Station and Beacon Hill areas of the city. Engine 50 responds to approximately 1500 incidents per year.
A 1922 map shows the location of the firehouse at 34 Winthrop St, Charlestown.
1905 Newspaper story on the Fire Department and the Charlestown Militia
sharing the building at 34 Winthrop St.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|