Engine 40's firehouse at 260 Sumner St., East Boston, circa 1925, with stone-cut image of the BFD badge on the front of the building.
The firehouse at 260 Sumner Street, East Boston, with the 'Dutch Doors' open, circa 1930.
A circa 1935 photo of the firehouse at 260 Sumner Street, East Boston.
Hose Wagon and Pumper of Engine 40 at quarters at 260 Sumner Street., East Boston, circa 1973.
Day view of the renovated firehouse, now occupied by Zumix, in 2010.
Night view of the renovated firehouse, now occupied by Zumix, in 2010.
This firehouse was built in 1924 on the same site as an earlier firehouse, which was built in 1865 and occupied by Engine Company 11 and Ladder Company 2 on January 1, 1866. Ladder 2 moved out on May 18, 1891.
The firehouse is located at 260 Sumner Street, at the corner of Orleans Street, in the Maverick Square section of East Boston.
Except for a brief period of time August 14, 1930 to January 21, 1931, when Ladder Company 2 moved in, Engine Company 40 was the only fire company to occupy the firehouse from November 8, 1924 until it was closed on May 13, 1977. On that date, Engine 40 moved to a new firehouse diagonally across the street at 239 Sumner Street.
The firehouse was used by the city's Department of Public Works as a remote office until the early 2000's. The building was for sale for several years.
In 2004, Boston's Department of Neighborhood Development developed guidelines of the redevelopment of the property. In May of 2005, Zumix was awarded ownership of the building. Zumix, founded in 1991, is a community-based program for the development of music and performance arts in the East Boston neighborhood. For more information on Zumix and the redevelopment of the Firehouse go to Zumix/Engine 40 Firehouse. Several photos of the redeveloped exterior of the firehouse are posted below.
1922 map showing the location of the firehouse at 260 Sumner Street., East Boston.
Former firehouse of Engine 40 at 260 Sumner Street, East Boston, in 1984.
The 1865 Firehouse of Engine 11 and Ladder 2 at 260 Sumner Street, East Boston, circa 1888.
The 1865 Firehouse of Engine 40 at 260 Sumner Street, East Boston, circa 1900.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|