Former firehouse of Hose 10 at 330 Dorchester St., South Boston, circa 1960.
Former firehouse of Hose 10 at 330 Dorchester St., South Boston, circa 1985.
(Hand) Hose Company 10 was placed in service at a new firehouse at 330 Dorchester Street, at the corner of Jenkins Street on November 1, 1861. It was intended that this company would provide fire protection in the immediate area only. The area was called Washington Village.
On March 1, 1868 the company was reorganized as (Horse) Hose Company 10.
The company remained in service here until November 13, 1893, at which time Engine Company 43 was organized at a new firehouse at 5 Boston Street in Andrew Square. Hose Company 10 was disbanded on that date.
There have been reports that the firehouse remained active in the Fire Department's roster as a coal station. The firefighter assigned here would deliver coal, as needed, for the steam fire engines in use at that time.
The building remains extant and has been used over the years as a union hall for a local trade union.
1884 map shows the location of the firehouse at 330 Dorchester St., South Boston.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|