This page displays information on the Fire Alarm Box Locations connected to the Boston Fire Alarm System.
Since the inauguration of the Boston Fire Alarm System in 1852, the means to transmit an alarm of fire to the Fire Alarm Office (FAO) via the fire alarm telegraph was from Fire Alarm Boxes located at street intersections, major buildings, or outside of firehouses. The fire alarm boxes also served as a means for firefighters at the scene of a fire to communicate with the FAO via the fire alarm telegraph.
The Fire Department continually added new fire alarm box locations over the years, and relocated many existing locations as well. Periodically, the Fire Department published a card, or pamphlet, or book containing the fire alarm box locations and other important fire-related information.
Refer to the list below for the Lists of Fire Alarm Box Locations over the years.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|