The former firehouse of Engine 11/Ladder 21 at 761 Saratoga St., East Boston, circa 1887.
The horse-drawn ladder truck of Ladder 21 at quarters at 761 Saratoga Street, East Boston, circa 1900.
Engine 11's steamer and motorized hose wagon at 761 Saratoga Street, East Boston, circa 1911.
Firehouse of Engine 11/Ladder 21 at 761 Saratoga St., East Boston, circa 1955.
This firehouse was opened on September 27, 1886 when Chemical Engine Company 7 was organized here.
The firehouse was located at 761 Saratoga Street, at the corner of Byron Street, East Boston. It was located midway between the Day Square and Orient Heights sections of East Boston.
On May 18, 1891, Engine Company 11 moved in from their former quarters at 260 Sumner Street , in the Maverick Square section of East Boston. On that same date, Chemical 7 moved to 391 Chelsea Street , East Boston.
On December 24, 1897 Combination Ladder Company 4 was organized here. On April 21, 1905 Combination Ladder 4 was designated Ladder Company 21.
In 1911 Engine 11 received the first motorized hose wagon in the city. It was placed here due to the long response runs Engine 11 made throughout East Boston.
On November 15, 1950, Engine 11 moved to a newly built firehouse at 1 Ashley Street , in the Orient Heights section of East Boston. On May 2, 1951 Engine 11 moved back to 761 Saratoga Street, after Engine Company 56 had been organized at 1 Ashley Street.
On September 21, 1954 Engine 11 was designated Engine-Squad 11. This designation meant that the company would perform both engine company work as well as rescue squad work. Four other fire companies across the city had also designated Engine-Squads.
On July 1, 1961 Engine-Squad 11 moved to 360 Saratoga Street to share quarters with Engine Company 5. Ladder Company 21 moved to the quarters of Engine 56 at 1 Ashley Street. The firehouse at 761 Saratoga Street was closed.
At a later date the building was demolished and the site today is a children's playground.
1922 map shows the location of the firehouse at 761 Saratoga Street, East Boston.
A circa 1950 view of the firehouse at 761 Saratoga Street, East Boston.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|