The company of Roxbury Warren Engine No. 1 pulling the hand-engine
from quarters at Dudley & Warren Sts, Roxbury, circa 1862.
The steamer of Boston Warren Engine No. 12 at quarters at Dudley & Warren Sts, Roxbury, circa 1872.
The firehouse at Dudley and Warren Streets in Dudley Square, Roxbury was built in 1860 as part of the Roxbury Fire Department. Quartered here were Warren (Hand) Engine Co. 1 and Washington (Hand) Hook & Ladder Co. 1. In 1864, the firehouse was renovated to accomodate horse-drawn steam engines.
On September 9, 1864, Warren (Hand) Engine Co. 1 was disbanded and Steam Engine Co. 2 of the Roxbury Fire Department was organized. At nearly the same time, Washington Ladder moved to 20 Eustis St., the quarters of Torrent (Hand) Engine Co. 6, which was disbanded.
on Annexation Day, January 6, 1868, Steam Engine 2 of the Roxbury Fire Department became Engine Co. 12 of the Boston Fire Department.
In late November, 1873 Engine 12 moved to a new firehouse at 198 Dudley Street at the corner of Winslow Street. The firehouse at Dudley and Warren Streets was demolished in order to widen Warren Street.
Before the old firehouse was demolished a large bust of George Washington, which had a prominent perch on the outside of the firehouse at Dudley and Warren Streets, was removed and placed on the outside of the new firehouse at 198 Dudley Street.
1852 map of Roxbury shows the location of the firehouse (F.E.Ho.) at Dudley & Warren streets.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|