Engine 26's horse-drawn steamer at the former firehouse at 18 Mason Street, Downtown, circa 1880.
The firehouse at 18 Mason Street, Downtown, circa 1888.
The firehouse of Engine 26 & 35 at 18 Mason Street, Downtown, circa 1890.
Interior photo of the firehouse at 18 Mason Street, Downtown, circa 1900.
Exterior photo of the firehouse at 18 Mason Street, Downtown, circa 1925.
This firehouse was built in 1874 and Engine Company 26 was organized here on May 7, 1874.
The firehouse was located at 18 Mason Street, a narrow street running parallel to Tremont Street, between West Street and Avery Street.
Many theatres occupied adjacent properties and several newspapers had offices in the area, making for a very congested traffic pattern.
Engine Company 35 was organized here on June 12, 1890 as a second section of Engine Company 26. In January 1898, Engine 35 received a self-propelled steam engine, similar to one already in service with Engine 38 in South Boston. The self-propelled steamer ran on its own steam, where steam from the boiler was not used just to power the pump, it also propelled the vehicle. The driver in front could only steer the vehicle. The engineer on the back step controlled both the throttle and the brakes.
On July 2, 1920, the firehouse was closed for renovations. On January 5, 1921, Engine 26 and Engine 35 moved back in. On that date, Engine 35's self-propelled steamer, in service since 1898, was replaced with a motor pumping engine.
On January 19, 1921 Engine 26, from this firehouse, responded to a fire in the city of Worcester.
The firehouse was closed on October 9, 1925 and the fire companies were relocated to other firehouses. Engine 26 and Engine 35 would later reunite at 194 Broadway when that new firehouse opened in 1928.
The building was torn down at a later date.
1922 map shows the location of the firehouse at 18 Mason Street, Downtown.
Newspaper story reporting the cramped quarters at the firehouse at 18 Mason St., Downtown, 1/6/1921.
Newspaper story reporting the closing of the firehouse at 18 Mason St., Downtown, 10/09/1925.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|