Photo of the firehouse of Hose Company 49 at Sprague & West Milton Sts., Hyde Park, circa 1914.
Hose Company 49 was organized at this firehouse on January 1, 1912, the day of annexation of the Town of Hyde Park to the City of Boston. Hose 49 replaced the former Hose Company 3 of the Hyde Park Fire Department.
Hose 49 stayed here until July 26, 1918 when the company moved to a new firehouse at Milton & Hamilton Sts., across the railroad tracks and one block away from Wolcott Square. Hose Company 49 became Engine Company 49 on that date. Milton Street is now the present-day Neponset Valley Parkway.
The firehouse at Sprague & West Milton Sts. was closed and no further information is available.
Map showing the location of the old Readville firehouse near the time of annexation.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|