Firehouse of Charlestown Hancock Hose and Massachusetts Ladder at 326 Main St., Charlestown,
This firehouse was built in 1850 as part of the Charlestown Fire Department. It was occupied by the Hancock Hose Company and the Massachusetts Hook & Ladder Company.
The firehouse was located at 326 Main Street, in the Hancock Square section of Charlestown, between South Eden Street and Lincoln Street.
On January 5, 1874 the firehouse became part of the Boston Fire Department. On that date, Hancock Hose became Boston's Hose Company 1 (Charlestown) and Massachusetts H&L became Boston's Ladder Company 9.
Hose 1 and Ladder 9 stayed here until October 20, 1885 when they moved across the street to a new firehouse at 333 Main Street.
After Hose 1 and Ladder 9 moved out, the firehouse was kept active a coaling station. A firefighter maintained a ready supply of coal for use with the steam fire engines. Each coaling station kept a minimum supply of two tons of coal at all times. This coaling station was active until at least 1922.
No further information is available as to the disposition of the old firehouse at 326 Main Street. The site is now residential housing.
An 1885 map shows the firehouse at 333 Main St., between Lincoln & South Eden Sts.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|