Firehouse of Ladder 18/Water Tower 3 on Pittsburgh St., South Boston, circa 1930.
Water Tower 3 at quarters at 9 Pittsburgh St., South Boston, circa 1947.
This firehouse opened on November 7, 1902 when newly organized Ladder Company 18 moved in.
The firehouse was located at 9 Pittsburgh Street, in the wool warehouse district of South Boston. The firehouse was located approximately fifty yards away from the firehouse of Engine 38/39 at 344 Congress Street. This firehouse contained one of the few 3-story firepoles in the city.
On November 2, 1903 Water Tower Company 3 was organized at this firehouse. Tower 3 remained here until August 9, 1939 at which time the company was deactivated. The company was reactivated on March 27, 1946. It remained in service until February 4, 1947 when the company was disbanded.
On September 26, 1952, Engine Company 25 moved into the firehouse while a new firehouse on Oliver St. in Fort Hill Square, Downtown, was being built. Engine 25 moved out on September 11, 1953.
Ladder 18 remained here until November 17, 1953 when it moved to the quarters of Engine 39 at 344 Congress Street, only fifty yards away.
The firehouse at 9 Pittsburgh Street was closed and it was demolished at a later date. The site remains a vacant lot since demolition.
1919 map shows the location of the firehouse at 9 Pittsburgh Street, South Boston.
|Home||Annexed Cities & Towns||Apparatus||Archives / Artifacts||Boston History Before 1859||Chronology Since 1859||Contact Us||Department Orders||Fires||Fire Alarm||Fire Companies||Firehouses|
|Fire Station Location Map||Forum||Links||
|Membership||Other Disasters||Personnel||Search||Store||About Us||Fire Safety & Education||What's New|